The idea of this blog is to share ideas for using hand-made pots to serve good food.

Eating with friends and family is one of life’s greatest pleasures. I hope to show how the warmth and character of hand made ceramics can really enhance the pleasure of cooking, serving and eating food.

This blog will include pots from other potters as well as my own and recipes for the food which I enjoy, hoping that you will like it too.

Sunday 13 May 2012


NEW SERVING DISH



It has taken me a while to get inspired to post as I have been busy getting going again after my trip to Japan.  Yesterday I unpacked the kiln and was pleased with the new design of serving dish I had made.  The top is a slab of clay, rolled out using my slab roller, with a cloth texture and stamped decoration on the edges.  I like the colour contrast and the way the textures work together.




Today I put it to the test, to make a good looking lunch platter for an Italian journalist who was coming to lunch.

With some soup and home-made bread, a few left over bits and pieces I had in the fridge turned into a respectable kind of lunch.

The key elements were really the serving dish itself and some lovely fresh small-leaf watercress which provided the backdrop to the other ingredients.











The serving dish has a thrown foot ring.
The thrown foot ring is pushed into shape when soft and left to firm up before attaching to the slab, when both are leather-hard.
The thrown foot ring seems to support the slab better than feet which I have used before and the dish was less prone to warping.



I feel inspired now to make more of these type of serving dishes - trying some larger ones and maybe other shapes.  Also to use it for some more adventurous ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Penny, like the new serving dish,our asparagus is pushing up now the sun has come out, I think a handful simpley steamed with butter and crushed black pepper would be fabulous, on your dish.

    ReplyDelete